I'm full professor (HDR) at the Lorraine University, and I'm doing my research at the Loria research center, a joint laboratory between University, INRIA, and CNRS.
I'm member of the INRIA/LORIA COAST team, lead by François Charoy.
I am currently in charge of the Miage master's degree and I manage about a hundred students. Before that, I was in charge of C2i preparation for about 2800 students for the University of Nancy 2.
From 2013 to 2016, I was head of the PhD students committee of the IAEM doctoral school (computer science area, around 170 PhD students) with the help of Stephan Merz.
If you have comments, if you want more information, details, do not hesitate to contact me, and send me an email (Olivier(dot)Perrin(at)loria(dot)fr).
My research interests
My main scientific interest has always been related to data and service management. In recent years, I have been particularly interested in everything related to the security of interactions between several services. I have defined an access control model that is compatible with the needs and functioning of service-oriented architectures in a context of cooperative applications.
I'm still working on service composition and more precisely on how to select the best services according to several criteria (performance, security, costs...) given services available on Cloud platforms.
I also work on the issue of trust and privacy in collaborative applications, that are applications that go beyond the boundaries of the organization that manages them. Trust is not limited to services, but also to data produced by the services, for which one must be able to guarantee that they will not be used in an unintended way.
Last, collaborative systems are by nature distributed systems, and to achieve high availability, distributed systems must replicate data and minimize coordination between nodes. We currently work on a new CRDT that integrates a renaming mechanism in order to reduce performance problems (execution, memory) related to the increase in the size of the identifiers.
My teaching activities
At IDMC, I am responsible for many courses at the Undergraduate and Master levels. The themes of my courses deal with data persistence, service oriented architectures and software engineering practices.
In recent years, I have been particularly interested in everything related to the security of interactions between several services. I have defined an access control model that is compatible with the needs and functioning of service-oriented architectures in a context of cooperative applications. With Ehtesham Zahoor, who became Assistant Professor in Pakistan, we proposed a model that allows us to validate a composition of services against a security policy, and to check whether an execution is correct.
I'm still working on service composition with my work with Anis Ahmed Nacer and François Charoy. We study the catalogue of services provided by service providers (Amazon, Azure, Heroku...) in order to be able to select the best services according to several criteria (performance, security, costs...). The service plans are thus analysed and compared in order to propose the best possible combination according to the targeted architectures and the needs expressed by the architects of the companies using the services.
I addressed with Claudia Ignat and Long Nguyen the issue of trust and privacy in collaborative applications, applications that often go beyond the boundaries of the organization that manages them. We proposed a key transparency system based on the Blockchain that meets the requirements of decentralization, security and ease of use. At the same time, I worked on identifying and detecting attacks on the Blockchain. I am continuing this work in Jean-Philippe Eisenbarth's thesis and in the Fair[&]Smart project that is about to start. Trust is not limited to services, but also to data, for which one must be able to guarantee that they will not be used in an unintended way.
Last, collaborative systems are by nature distributed systems, and I address the issue of data consistency in these systems in Matthieu Nicolas' thesis. To achieve high availability, distributed systems must replicate data and minimize coordination between nodes. CRDTs are data types that support simultaneous modifications and integrate a conflict resolution mechanism. To achieve this, CRDTs attach identifiers to elements stored in the data structure. We propose a new CRDT that integrates a renaming mechanism in order to reduce performance problems (operation, memory) related to the increase in the size of the identifiers.
My current PhD students are:
- Anis Ahmed Nacer (co-advisor: François Charoy)
API composition based on contracts
- Matthieu Nicolas (co-advisor: Gérald Oster)
Efficient renaming in Conflict-free Replicated Data Types (CRDTs)
- Jean Philippe Eisenbarth (co-advisor: Thibault Cholez)
Securing cybersecurity services based on the blockchain
My former PhD students are:
- Aymen Baouab (co-advisor: Claude Godart)
Decentralized of distributed and inter-organisational choreographies
- Ahmed Bouchami
Collaborative resources security in Enterprise Social Networks
- Daishi Kondo (co-advisor: Thomas Silverston)
Preventing information leakage in NDN using name and flow filters
- Long NGuyen (co-advisor: Claudia Ignat)
Transparency system based on the Blockchain
Here is the list of the projects I was/will be involved in:
- OpenPaas (2012-2016)
- OpenPaas:NG (2015-2019)
- Groupe Open (2016-2019)
- Fair[&]Smart (2020-2023)
I was member of the following comittees:
- Issac Noé Garcia, PhD, Grenoble University, 2012
- Nicolas Boissel, PhD, Mines d'Albi, 2012
- Samir Sebahi, PhD, Lyon University, 2012
- Maryam Eslamichalandar, PhD, CNAM, 2013
- Juan Li, PhD, INSA Lyon, 2014
- Michaël Mrissa, HDR, Lyon University, 2014
- Sami Yangui, PhD, Telecom SudParis, 2014
- Sarah Zribi, PhD, Mines d'Albi, 2014
- César Bernardini, PhD, Lorraine University, chair, 2015
- Akram Bedoui, PhD, Lorraine University, chair, 2015
- Houssem Medhioub, PhD, UPMC & Telecom SudParis, chair, 2015
- Anthéa Mayzaud, PhD, Lorraine University, chair, 2016
- Noran Azmy, PhD, Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik, 2016
- ICSOC 2012-2019
- Co-Chair ICSOC PhD Symposium 2013
- Co-Chair ICSOC Workshops 2012, 2014
- IEEE ACT 2017-2019
- CoopIS 2017-2020
- IFIP Conference on e-Business, e-Services and e-Society 2014-2017
- BPM 2012
- VECOS 2014, 2016
- SITIS 2012-2015
- IEEE Transactions on Services Computing
- ACM Transactions on Internet Technology
- IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
- IEEE Transactions on the Web, Journal of Cloud Computing
- International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems
- Automated Software Engineering Journal
- International Journal of Modelling and Simulation
- International Journal on Software and Systems Modeling
- Computers & Security
- Revue I3
I was in charge during 3 years of the recruiting comittee for temporary position (ATER) at the IDMC.
Before that, I was in charge of the C2i preparation course for the University of Nancy 2 (around 2800 students, about 60 teachers).
I'm teaching various courses at various degrees. Content of the course can be accessed on demand.
Database design - Undergraduate degree (L3)
The course deals with data persistence, from the relational model to new persistence systems (key-value, document, column, graph). The course covers design and issues with implementation (transactions, index, replication, distribution, consistency).
Information System Urbanization - Master degree
This course describes the how to urbanize information systems taking into account BPM, SOA, master data management, and agility (data flows, control flows, event flows). It had been given to Master students, and third year students of Ecole des Mines of Nancy.
Distributed systems - Master degree
In this course, I cover the concepts and practical application of distributed systems: localization, replication, concurrency, consistency, fault tolerance.
Service-oriented architectures - Master degree
I present the concepts of APIs, service discovery, load balancing, monitoring, testing, and implementation in containers.
Advanced Software Engineering - Master degree
In this course, I cover classic and agile methods, testing, version management best practices, code refactoring, performance, quality metrics and continuous development/deployment. I apply these concepts within a large project grouping software engineering, network, advanced java.
Big data architectures - Master degree
The course covers storage (HDFS), processing (Hadoop, Hive, Spark) and implementation of the main processing algorithms (clustering, regression, PCA...).
Here is a list of all my publications. All details can be found on DBLP.
- Matthieu Nicolas, Gérald Oster, Olivier Perrin: Efficient Renaming in Sequence CRDTs, PaPoC 2020 (7th Workshop on Principles and Practice of Consistency for Distributed Data colocated with EuroSys ’20)
- Anis Ahmed Nacer, Olivier Perrin, François Charoy: Identification of Comparison Key Elements and their Relationships for Cloud Service Selection, ESOCC 2020
- Ehtesham Zahoor, Uzma Bibi, Olivier Perrin: Shadowed Authorization Policies - A Disaster Waiting to Happen ? WISE 2019: 341-355
- Hoang Long Nguyen, Jean-Philippe Eisenbarth, Claudia-Lavinia Ignat, Olivier Perrin: Blockchain-Based Auditing of Transparent Log Servers. DBSec 2018: 21-37
- Ehtesham Zahoor, Asim Ikram, Sabina Akhtar, Olivier Perrin: Authorization Policies Specification and Consistency Management within Multi-cloud Environments. NordSec 2018: 272-288
- Hoang Long Nguyen, Claudia-Lavinia Ignat, Olivier Perrin: Trusternity: Auditing Transparent Log Server with Blockchain. WWW 2018: 79-80
- Sabina Akhtar, Ehtesham Zahoor, Olivier Perrin: Formal Verification of Authorization Policies for Enterprise Social Networks Using PlusCal-2. CollaborateCom 2017: 530-540
- Ehtesham Zahoor, Zubaria Asma, Olivier Perrin: A Formal Approach for the Verification of AWS IAM Access Control Policies. ESOCC 2017: 59-74
- Daishi Kondo, Thomas Silverston, Hideki Tode, Tohru Asami, Olivier Perrin: Risk analysis of information-leakage through interest packets in NDN. INFOCOM Workshops 2017: 360-365
- Daishi Kondo, Thomas Silverston, Hideki Tode, Tohru Asami, Olivier Perrin: Name anomaly detection for ICN. LANMAN 2016: 1-6
- Ahmed Bouchami, Olivier Perrin, Ehtesham Zahoor: Trust-Based Formal Delegation Framework for Enterprise Social Networks. TrustCom 2015: 127-134
- Ahmed Bouchami, Elio Goettelmann, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: Enhancing Access-Control with Risk-Metrics for Collaboration on Social Cloud-Platforms. TrustCom 2015: 864-871
- Farouk Toumani, Barbara Pernici, Daniela Grigori, Djamal Benslimane, Jan Mendling, Nejib Ben Hadj-Alouane, M. Brian Blake, Olivier Perrin, Iman Saleh, Sami Bhiri: Service-Oriented Computing - ICSOC 2014 Workshops, 2014, LNCS 8954
- Aymen Baouab, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: Supervision et vérification décentralisées de chorégraphies de services. Ingénierie des Systèmes d'Information 19(2): 61-84 (2014)
- Ehtesham Zahoor, Olivier Perrin, Ahmed Bouchami: CATT: A cloud based authorization framework with trust and temporal aspects. CollaborateCom 2014: 285-294
- Ehtesham Zahoor, Kashif Munir, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: A Bounded Model Checking Approach for the Verification of Web Services Composition. International Journal of Web Service Research. 10(4): 62-81 (2013)
- Olivier Perrin, Jianmin Wang, Yan Wang: Phd Symposium Track: Message from Chairs. ICSOC Workshops 2013
- Aymen Baouab, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: Supervision Décentralisée des Chorégraphies de Services. INFORSID 2013: 199-214
- Aditya K. Ghose, Huibiao Zhu, Qi Yu, Alex Delis, Quan Z. Sheng, Olivier Perrin, Jianmin Wang, Yan Wang: Service-Oriented Computing - ICSOC 2012 Workshops - ICSOC 2012, International Workshops, Shanghai, China, November 12-15, 2012, Revised Selected Papers. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 7759
- Aymen Baouab, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: An Optimized Derivation of Event Queries to Monitor Choreography Violations. ICSOC 2012: 222-236
- Ehtesham Zahoor, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: Web Services Composition Verification Using Satisfiability Solving. ICWS 2012: 242-249
- Aymen Baouab, Walid Fdhila, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: Towards Decentralized Monitoring of Supply Chains. ICWS 2012: 600-607
- Walid Fdhila, Stefanie Rinderle-Ma, Aymen Baouab, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: On evolving partitioned Web Service orchestrations. SOCA 2012: 1-6
- Sami Bhiri, Walid Gaaloul, Claude Godart, Olivier Perrin, Maciej Zaremba, Wassim Derguech: Ensuring Customised Transactional Reliability of Composite Services, in Journal of Database Management. 22(2): 64-92, 2011.
- Ehtesham Zahoor, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: An event-based reasoning approach to Web services monitoring, ICWS 2011, July 2011.
- Aymen Baouab, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: An event-driven approach for runtime verification of inter-organizational choreographies, SCC 2011, July 2011.
- Ehtesham Zahoor, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: DISC-SET: Handling temporal and security aspects in the Web services composition, in Proceedings of ECOWS 2010, 8th IEEE European Conference on Web Services, December 2010.
- Ehtesham Zahoor, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: DISC: a declarative framework for self-healing service composition, in Proceedings of ICWS 2010, July 2010.
- Ehtesham Zahoor, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: Rule-Based Semi Automatic Web Services Composition, in Proceedings of SERVICES I 2009, July 2009.
- Ehtesham Zahoor, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: An Integrated Declarative Approach to Web Services Composition and Monitoring in Proceedings of WISE 2009, October 2009.
- Sami Bhiri, Claude Godart, Olivier Perrin: Patrons transactionnels pour assurer des compositions fiables de services web in Technique et Science Informatiques 28(3), 2009.
- Ethesham Zahoor, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: Mashup Model and Verification using Mashup Processing Network, in Proceedings of CollaborateCom 2008, November 2008.
- Eric Monfroy, Olivier Perrin, Christophe Ringeissen: Dynamic Web Services Provisioning with Constraints, in Proceedings of Cooperative Information Systems (CoopIS) 2008, November 2008.
- Nawal Guermouche, Olivier Perrin, Christophe Ringeissen: A Mediator Based Approach For Services Composition, in Proceedings of the 6th ACIS International Conference on Software Engineering Research, Management and Applications, SERA 2008, August 2008.
- Nawal Guermouche, Olivier Perrin, Christophe Ringeissen: Timed Specification For Web Services Compatibility Analysis, in Electr. Notes Theor. Comput. Sci. 200(3), Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Automated Specification and Verification of Web Systems (WWV 2007), May 2008.
- Sami Bhiri, Claude Godart, Olivier Perrin: Transactional patterns for reliable web services compositions, in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE 2006), July 2006.
- Sami Bhiri, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: Extending workflow patterns with transactional dependencies to define reliable composite Web services, in Proceedings of Advanced International Conference on Telecommunications and International Conference on Internet and Web Applications and Services (AICT/ICIW 2006), February 2006.
- Boualem Benatallah, Olivier Perrin, Fethi Rabhi, Claude Godart: Web Service Computing: Overview and Directions. Book chapter. In Handbook of Innovative Computing. Editor: Albert Y. Zomaya. Springer, 2005.
- Mohsen Rouached, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: A Contract-based Approach for Monitoring Collaborative Web Services using Commitments in the Event Calculus, in Proceedings of WISE 2005, New-York, November 2005.
- Mohsen Rouached, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: A Contract Layered Architecture for regulating cross-organisational Business Processes, in Proceedings of BPM 2005, Nancy, September 2005.
- Sami Bhiri, Khaled Gaaloul, Claude Godart, Olivier Perrin: Transactional Patterns: Combining Workflow Flexibility and Transactional Reliability, in Proceedings of BPM 2005, Nancy, September 2005.
- Sami Bhiri, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: Ensuring Required Failure Atomicity of Composite Web services, in Proceedings of 14th International Conference WWW 2005, Japan, May 2005.
- Sami Bhiri, Claude Godart, Olivier Perrin: Reliable Web services composition using a transactional approach, in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on e-Technology, e-Commerce and e-Service, Hong Kong, March 2005.
- Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: A model to support collaborative work in virtual enterprises. Advances in business process management, Data & Knowledge Engineering 50(1): 63-86, July 2004.
- Sami Bhiri, Olivier Perrin, Walid Gaaloul, Claude Godart: An Object-Oriented Metamodel For Inter-Enterprises Cooperative Processes Based on Web Services, Journal of Integrated Design & Process Science, vol. 8, n°2, June 2004, p. 37-55.
- Claude Godart, Pascal Molli, Gérald Oster, Olivier Perrin, Hala Skaf-Molli, Pradeep Ray, Fethi Rabhi: The ToxicFarm Integrated Cooperation Framework for Virtual Teams. Distributed and Parallel Databases 15(1): 67-88, 2004
- Sami Bhiri, Claude Godart, Olivier Perrin: A Transaction-oriented Framework for Composing Transactional Web Services, 2004 IEEE International Conference on Services Computing - SCC 2004, Shanghai, China, IEEE digital library, Sep 2004, p. 654-663.
- Sami Bhiri, Olivier Perrin, Walid Gaaloul, Claude Godart: An Object Oriented Metamodel for Inter-entreprises Cooperative Processes based on Web Services, 7th World Conference on Integrated Design and Process Technology 2003 - IDPT'2003, Austin, Texas, Etats Unis, Dec 2003.
- Sami Bhiri, Olivier Perrin, Walid Gaaloul, Claude Godart: An Object-oriented metamodel for inter-entreprises cooperative processes based on Web services. Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science, 8(2): 37-55, June 2004.
- Sami Bhiri, Claude Godart, Olivier Perrin. A Transaction-oriented Framework for Composing Transactional Web Services. IEEE International Conference on Services Computing - SCC 2004, Shanghai, China, IEEE digital library, 654-663, Sep 2004.
- Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: An approach to implement contracts as trusted intermediaries. IEEE Conference on E-Commerce Technology, International Workshop on Electronic Contracting (WEC). July 6-9, 2004, San Diego, California, USA.
- Olivier Perrin, Franck Wynen, Julia Bitcheva, Claude Godart: A Model to Support Collaborative Work in Virtual Enterprises. International Conference on Business Process Management, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, June 26-27, 2003, Proceedings. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2678, Springer.
- Julia Bitcheva, Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: Coordination of Cooperative Processes with the Synchronization Point Concept. Proceedings of the International Conference on Web Services, ICWS '03, June 23 - 26, 2003, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. CSREA Press.
- Sami Bhiri, Olivier Perrin, Walid Gaaloul, Claude Godart: An Object Oriented Metamodel for Inter-entreprises Cooperative Processes based on Web Services. 7th World Conference on Integrated Design and Process Technology 2003 - IDPT'2003, Austin, Texas, Etats Unis, Dec 2003.
- Olivier Perrin, Claude Godart: A Contract Model to Deploy and Control Cooperative Processes. Technologies for E-Services, 4th International Workshop, TES 2003, Berlin, Germany, September 8, 2003, Proceedings. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2819, Springer.