I am the scientific coordinator of the ANR JCJC ROOIBOS, on User-Specific Adaptation of Collaborative Robot Motion for Improved Ergonomics.
Collaborative robots have the potential to reduce work-related musculoskeletal disorders not only by decreasing the workers’ physical load, but also by modifying and improving their postures. Imposing a sudden modification of one’s movement can however be detrimental to the acceptance and efficacy of the human-robot collaboration. In ROOIBOS, we will develop a framework to plan user-specific trajectories for collaborative robots, to gradually optimize the efficacy of the collaboration and the long-term occupational health of the user. We will use machine learning and probabilistic methods to perform user-specific prediction of whole-body movements. We will define dedicated metrics to evaluate the movement ergonomic performance and intuitiveness. We will integrate those elements in a digital human simulation to plan a progressive adaptation of the robot motion accounting for the user’s motor preferences. We will then use probabilistic decision-making to adapt the plan on-line to the user’s motor adaptation capabilities. This will enable a smooth deployment of collaborative robots at work.
Loria scientific team
- Pauline Maurice (PI)
- Vincent Thomas (researcher)
- Francis Colas (researcher)
- Serena Ivaldi (researcher)
- Aya Yaacoub (PhD student)
- Aurélien Osswald (intern)
- Anuyan Ithayakumar (intern)
- A. Ithayakumar, A. Osswald, V. Thomas, P. Maurice. “Reducing work-related physical fatigue with a collaborative robot:A decision-making approach”. French Humanoid Robotics Days (JNRH 2021), Angers, France, 2021 (oral) [PDF].
- W. Gomes, P. Maurice, E. Dalin, J.B. Mouret, S. Ivaldi. “Multi-objective Trajectory Optimization to Improve Ergonomics in Human Motion”. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, IEEE, vol. 7 no. 1, pages 342–349, 2022 [PDF].
- L. Vianello, W. Gomes, F. Stulp, A. Aubry, P. Maurice, S. Ivaldi. “Latent Ergonomics Maps: Real-Time Visualization of Estimated Ergonomics of Human Movements”. Sensors, MDPI, vol. 22, no. 11, 2022 [PDF].
- M. Edraki, P. Maurice, D. Sternad. “Robot Motion Affects Human Force Regulation in Physical Human-Robot Interaction”. ICRA 2022 workshop on Integrating Multidisciplinary Approaches to Advance Physical Human-Robot Interaction, 2022 [PDF].